The Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2020, enacted on December 27, 2020, deals with the annual tax extenders. Congress made some of them permanent, while others got short- or long-term extensions.
These are the big five Form 1040 tax breaks that were scheduled to expire on December 31, 2020:
- Exclusion from income for cancellation of acquisition debt on your principal residence (up to $2 million)
- Deduction for mortgage insurance premiums as residence interest
- 7.5 percent floor to deduct medical expenses (instead of 10 percent)
- Above-the-line deduction for tuition and fees
- Non-business energy property tax credit for energy-efficient improvements to your principal residence
Here is what Congress did with each of these five provisions:
- Cancellation of debt. Extended through tax year 2025, but with a reduced maximum exclusion from $2 million to $750,000 for discharges of indebtedness after December 31, 2020.
- Mortgage insurance premiums. Extended through tax year 2021 only.
- 7.5 percent floor for itemized medical deductions. This provision is now permanent!
- Tuition and fees deduction. Eliminated, but the lifetime learning tax credit phase-out limit was increased to $80,000 (or $160,000 on a joint return) to increase access to this tax benefit.
- Principal home energy tax credit. Extended through tax year 2021 only.
Of course, Congress extended dozens and dozens of other extenders. If you would like to discuss the extenders, please don’t hesitate to contact Sigma Accountants – Best Columbia Maryland Based CPA Firm
Sigma accountants are the best Tax Accountant in Maryland. We provide pocket-friendly accounting, bookkeeping, and consultancy services to dentists, dental practitioners, doctors, medical practitioners, and small businesses. We specialize in accounting for dental practices and help them increase their net worth.
Our accurate reporting and on-time accounting services make us the best CPA In Columbia MD. Get in touch for a free consultation today and experience the best tax preparation services in Columbia, MD.